Max Group Size
Our Sport Climbing class will teach you everything you need to know, to safely start leading sport routes outside. We will start the day with introductions followed by a 2.5 hour ground school, take a lunch break around noon and finish up with mock lead practice. Ground school topics include…
- Choosing the appropriate gear to bring and why. (Cordelette or webbing, 12cm or 18cm quickdraws, dedicated personal anchor system (PAS) or multi-use sling, etc.)
- Simple two bolt anchors and the ones to avoid.
- Methods for cleaning anchors.
- Clipping techniques.
Mock lead practice will include…
- Lead demonstration, emphasizing stick clip techniques, back stepping, z-clipping, and back clipping.
- Student lead practice. (Student leads route using a stick clip for first bolt, clipping into other bolts, building an anchor and lowering back down. Students are backed up via a top-rope on a separate anchor system)
- Student anchor cleaning practice. (Student cleans anchor with instructor present at the top of the route)
- Tips & Tricks for bailing off a route with Demonstration.
Climbers must have working knowledge of belaying, tying in, and partner checks. Climbers must provide their own climbing shoes.
Locations and Times:
- June 4th. Pilot Mountain State Park. 8:30am-5pm
- August 7th. Rocky Face Recreational Area. 8:00am-4:30pm
- October 2nd. Crowders Mountain State Park (Linwood Access). 8:30am-5pm
Number of Participants:
*All courses must be registered for 7 days prior to the course date. Late registrants are accepted on a case by case basis. Please Email. Additionally, we offer 100% flexible pricing for those who inquire. Please email to inquire on our “Pay What You Can (PWYC)” model and reserve your spot today.
Group bookings: For groups of 20 or more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (828) 260-4505