Description:Our Sport Climbing class will teach you everything you need to know, to safely start leading sport routes outside. We will start the day with introductions followed by a 2.5 hour ground school, take a lunch break around noon and finish up with mock lead practice. Ground school topics include...
- Choosing the appropriate gear to bring and why. (Cordelette or webbing, 12cm or 18cm quickdraws, dedicated personal anchor system (PAS) or multi-use sling, etc.)
- Simple two bolt anchors and the ones to avoid.
- Methods for cleaning anchors.
- Clipping techniques.
Mock lead practice will include...
- Lead demonstration, emphasizing stick clip techniques, back stepping, z-clipping, and back clipping.
- Student lead practice. (Student leads route using a stick clip for first bolt, clipping into other bolts, building an anchor and lowering back down. Students are backed up via a top-rope on a separate anchor system)
- Student anchor cleaning practice. (Student cleans anchor with instructor present at the top of the route)
- Tips & Tricks for bailing off a route with Demonstration.
Pre-Requisites: Climbers must have working knowledge of belaying, tying in, and partner checks. Climbers must provide their own climbing shoes.
Locations and Times:
- June 4th. Pilot Mountain State Park. 8:30am-5pm
- August 7th. Rocky Face Recreational Area. 8:00am-4:30pm
- October 2nd. Crowders Mountain State Park (Linwood Access). 8:30am-5pm
Number of Participants: 2-4
*All courses must be registered for 7 days prior to the course date. Late registrants are accepted on a case by case basis. Please Email. Additionally, we offer 100% flexible pricing for those who inquire. Please email to inquire on our "Pay What You Can (PWYC)" model and reserve your spot today.